Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Daughter's Sense of Style




It is almost time to send the kids back to school and shop for school clothes. This summer is slipping from my hands like grains of sand. Getting ready for school marks the end of summer for us - no more beach trips or weekends at the campground. Instead we get ready for football season, science projects, and evening study time. It looks like this fall will be the start of dance lessons for my daughter too. After having 3 boy and finally a girl, I am loving all the girlie, frilly, and pink clothes that I get to buy. But I fear my choices in what she wears is slowly coming to an end. She is now vocal about what she wants and what she does not like. She is 3 and is claiming her style independence much sooner than any of my boys did. My oldest boy was close to 12 before he found his style with baggy jeans and over sized tee shirts (He is now 21 and has grown out of that style)- I fought that one tooth and nail. My next son, who is now 19, followed the "athletic" style... jerseys, team sports apparel, and the newest and coolest sneakers (which I don't think they call them sneakers anymore, ha ha). When he got into high school he had to get what everyone else was wearing and refused to wear any of the new clothes I had just bought.... I was not a happy camper. From then on, I told him he was allowed a certain dollar amount for school clothes and if he wanted something more expensive or out of the budget, he had to pay for it with his own money from his job. He wanted name brands I could not afford (as a single mother) at the time. He also had to have his hair styled and expensive cologne - He was a fashionisto before his time. My third son just turned 10, and like his oldest brother, he really doesn't care what he wears as long as it is comfortable. He still enjoys the character clothing such as Star Wars and Pokemon. One thing he does ask for is skater shoes, he likes to skateboard.

So, as you can see, I was so excited when I learned a girl was coming. I dreamed of pink, dresses, ribbons, and hair accessories. And it has been that way, up until now. Her Dad loves to dress her up in the cool retro 80's clothes with checkered shoes, rock band tees, and mini skirts with leggings. She no longer wants any part of that. If she thinks it belongs on a boy, she will not wear it (willingly). Her jeans have to have embroidered flowers or hearts on them, but she would much rather fancy a tutu or a beautiful dress. She tells me I have to fix her hair because in the morning she has "crazy hair". For a 3 year old, she has an extensive vocabulary and can relay her opinions quite well. And she is very opinionated! I am embracing every moment of it, and letting her express her individuality. I can not wait to see the young woman she will become.

School shopping was always a chore, because the boys all wanted different styles of clothing. Some things we had to get at specialty stores. My first stop every year is JC Penny. They have a wide range of athletic and dress shoes as well as clothes for all ages and styles. My 10 year old can pick out some trendy skater wear and my darling daughter can find the perfect dress. I still pick up outfits for my older boys occasionally, or I will purchase a JC Penny gift card for them to shop themselves. Everyone is happy and I don't have to make more trips shopping than I have to. And the bonus, I earn JC Penny rewards for shopping there!! Yay! They also offer convenient online shopping and customer service on their website www.jcp.com

What are your kids' individual styles and where do you shop for their clothes? I would love to hear about it, leave me a comment below! Enjoy what is left of your summer and happy Back to School shopping!!



**Please note: “I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and jcpenney blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here ."

No comments:

Post a Comment